History of the Lynn Water and Sewer Commission
Water System History
Lynn’s water system was initially established in 1870 when Breeds Pond was purchased as the first source of water supply. Birch Pond was added during 1873 when Beaver Brook was dammed to help supply water to Lynn. Walden Pond was created during 1889 by constructing a dam across Penny Brook and combining it with Glen Lewis Pond.
The dam was raised during 1905 when the east-end dam was built. Construction of Hawkes Pond Dam was completed during 1895 creating Hawkes Pond reservoir. The Saugus River diversion conduit was completed during 1898, connecting the Saugus River to Hawkes Pond. During 1918, the connection between the Ipswich River and Lynn’s reservoir system was established completing the existing water supply system.
Sewer System History
Wastewater collection began in Lynn in 1866 with the construction of a stone and brick sewer in Union street. By 1879, the Lynn City Engineer reported that all but 7.5 miles of major streets had been sewered. In the 1880's and early 1890's, many of the larger sewer mains were constructed including the Eastern and Western Interceptors along with several of the submains. During that decade, the number of connections rose from 1,005 to 1,988. The system has continued to expand and there are 140 miles of pipe.
The Eastern interceptor is approximately 1,000 feet long and ranges in size from 40 inches by 54 inches to 64 inches by 72 inches. It is an egg shaped brick sewer constructed in 1885-1887. The Eastern Interceptor has not needed major renovation. A section of the interceptor was built in 1979 when the primary treatment plant was being built.
The Western interceptor is approximately 10,400 feet long and ranges in size from 36 inches in diameter to 54 inches by 72 inches. It is egg shaped in some sections and circular in others, and was constructed in 1890-1891.